Clash of the Champions
August 24, 2016
22 years ago today, WCW presented Clash of the Champions XXVIII from the Five Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Highlighted by the first singles match between Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair on broadcast television, this edition of the Clash drew one of the highest ratings for any cable wrestling show ever to that point (the show as a whole was seen in over 2.75 million households, with the main event being watched by 4.12 million households, at the time a record for any wrestling match on cable).
- The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags) defeated Pretty Wonderful (Paul Orndorff & Paul Roma).
- Ricky Steamboat defeated Steve Austin to win the WCW United States Championship. The title could have changed hands on a disqualification.
- Dustin Rhodes & Dusty Rhodes defeated Bunkhouse Buck & Terry Funk by disqualification. Of note, this was Dusty’s first match for WCW since being fired by the company in 1988.
- Antonio Inoki defeated Lord Steven Regal via submission.
- Ric Flair defeated Hulk Hogan by countout in a WCW World Heavyweight Championship match.